It’s Halloween! Soon. So we’re asking people we like to pick the scariest songs they know.
Who: Emily Zeitlyn, singer-guitarist for Divers
What: I think “State Trooper” by Mr. Bruce Springsteen is scary.
Why: I remember a long drive home through NJ darkness listening to this while my young son slept in the backseat.
Reasons it’s scary:
- I am scared of state troopers and definitely don’t want them to ask for my “license and registration.”
- The way the protagonist has “got a clear conscience ’bout the things” that he’s done. What dreadful thing has he done?!
- He loses his patience at a talk show. The way he sings this line sounds like he’s barely controlling himself, he probably puts his fist through the radio later.
- The way Springsteen yelps before the long scream is very startling!
Advice: Don’t get lost in the pine barrens while listening to this song!
- Sara Sherr picks “Hate My Way” by Throwing Muses
- Ken Kalfus picks “Goodnight Moon” by Serafin
- Jon Solomon picks Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse Of The Heart”
You guys don't really care who's going to be your next Councilman, right?
Tomorrow, a column of (mostly) old men will lock themselves inside a white building and cast a...
Cleanup of illegal dump in Point Breeze gets underway
After years of filing complaints about an illegal garbage dump located adjacent to her property,...
Concert review: Lorde @ Tower Theater
[3/8] “Did you just die? I just died.” This was exclaimed not by Lorde — despite her zombie...